vendredi 20 décembre 2013

Applications and Genre Theory

I will be writing about applications now and then. I want to take a Genre Theory approach from literary analysis and apply it to applications. I could just call them Categories of applications, like Email, Blogging Platform, etc., but I chose to speak of Genres instead for specific reasons. The main reason is that I want to speak of design patterns for different genres of applications, across numerous categories.

I will be writing mostly about the kinds of applications that I have used the most over the last 20+ years using computers. Check back in every once in a while, I should start writing about this soon. One of the first app genres I want to tackle is the newsreading app. I will be going through the genre in a systematic, methodical way, taking them apart and going through every element, good, bad, and neutral.

Like in any genre, in literature for instance there are bad historical novels and there are good ones. It's the same with applications. Apps are just text, really, they are works of fiction, one could say. Useful fictions. Like in literature, there are great writers and there are a bunch of amateurs who don't even come close. I may not be an application-builder or application-maker, but I am a prolific painter, sound designer, author, and researcher. More than anything, I know exactly what I like and don't like.

I just want to spend some time and get it all out of my system. There really are some bad apps out there. No wonder startups are dropping like flies after burning through their cash handouts. You know, in the long haul, there will be few true entrepreneurs left. By that, I mean true visionaries. They are few and far between. And this little app I happen to be using right now is one of those great works of art in a genre all on its own. But that is another story for another day. Hope you are well. Take care and keep rocking. :)
https://chumly.com/n/215f27f

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire