mardi 7 janvier 2014

The Genesis of The Antiface Strategy

I'm looking at myself in the mirror constantly. I don't use terms I am not qualified to use, and if I do, the first thing I say is that I am about to use a term I am not qualified to use. Otherwise, I just keep my mouth shut. I don't know anything about anybody. I'm just the face in the mirror who looks back at me standing in the outside world.

As a professional painter and accomplished self-portraitist, I am qualified to use the terms Mirror and Face in this context, and have used them appropriately, until proof of the contrary. I can also pronounce myself on Qualification as far as my trade goes, because I am a Professional.

However, I am a young professional as far as years of practise go, so anything I say should be taken with a grain of salt and verified against the counsel of those more accomplished in the art than I. I am also not always speaking on behalf of the tradition, but I must still watch what I say, because what the mirror tells me is I am no longer a child, but an adult.

Why people would have wanted to scream and shout at such a beautiful child, Goodness only knows. Mirrors are great for shedding tears, to see what hurting looks like, but you can't keep crying all the time when you're a Painter. It fogs up the eyesight. It is a truly joyful thing to see, though, the sight of one's own face disappearing in that way. With it comes the drying of the eyes, the face is newly painted with a bashful smile, and joy everlastingly radiates outwardly.

It is the Gift of Tears, and in my case was the part of the Genesis of The Concept of Antiface, in the work that I have done in my professional art practise over the years. I hope that it can make you smile or otherwise have a nicer day. I have included a portrait of myself taken via Screenshot many years ago, when I was somewhat younger.

In the case of this photo, the Screen-capture shows us that it was a picture I had posted on the web and that I was being asked if I knew the individual in the picture. If I knew the person, I was prompted to Tag them with their name. I found it rather Imbecilic to be asked if I recognized myself. In terms of facial recognition, machine learning, and all that, I knew that tagging myself was the quickest way to avoid having to use any algorithms whatsoever. My Face's Visual Signature could then be catalogued and used in computer systems until the end of time.

It made me sad, yet happy at the same time, that I couldn't be so easily fooled. I have spent a lifetime inside the Mirror, staring back at myself standing in the world. I am a painter, after all, and so took a Snapshot so I could remember that that actually happened, since I was almost certain no one would believe me.

I am releasing it now From The Archives as I like to say. This was the face I was asked about. After almost a decade, I am ready to give my answer. Yes, I know who that is, it's the guy in the Picture on the page you are looking at on this website. Who is he? How the hell should I know? I don't know anything about anybody. I'm just a lowly professional painter, and an accomplished self-portraitist. I know who I am, do you know who you are? Take a look in the mirror and let me know. Blessings and good tidings to you from inside the Atelier.


https://chumly.com/n/21c6d2b

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire